Thursday, September 15, 2011

We Served Lunch Again

Today Dave and I served lunch  to the homeless - as we do from time to time.  It's always an awesome, humbling honor. 

It's especially moving to see little kids and medically challenged folks.  It's painful to see folks, especially young folks, who are obviously embarrassed to be in this position.

Two people got to me.  A young, tall, very good looking African American man wearing jeans and a plaid shirt, very clean and neat - seemed so very ill at ease.

A young, blond woman, extremely thin, wearing Daisy Duke shorts, was carrying a baby on each hip.

I always wonder about the stories of every person we serve but I especially wonder about these two.

Later, when Dave and I were driving away from the downtown core,  we saw the blond woman walking down the street, still carrying a baby on each hip.  But she had no purse or bag.  These babies were in diapers.  I wonder what she does when they need changing.


***