Sunday, September 18, 2011

An Old Book

This week, while Dave was cleaning a closet, he found an old poetry book I'd written 35 or so years ago and had completely forgotten about.

After he read it, I read it.  Again, but for the first time in many, many years.  I will have to say, with all humility, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I was reminded of what we women - well, some of us - went through in the 60s and 70s and how much life has changed.  And the part some of us had in that change.

Here are a couple. 

The Thingmaker  (written in 1972)

I saw a layout
in playboy magazine
featuring  a racing car
shaped like a woman

dear playboy
I am not a machine
I am a human being

Is your relationship
with your machine
unfulfilling
undemanding
unsatisfactory
unloving
incomplete
unfinished

next time
try a person.


The following was written in 1973

Why Women's Lib,
    Confuses me.

Am I the cause of all
    my problems,
Or is he?


***