Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Bad Thing About Hospice

The bad thing about hospice care is that most folks don't utilize it soon enough.  The main reason is we don't want to deal with the reality of an impending death.  My husband, Ken, was with hospice home care for about five days prior to death.  I wish he, and I, and our family had been able to experience this kind of care much sooner than we did.

Hospice, typically, takes over  only after aggressive care has been abandoned and the patient has admitted that his or her illness will result in death.  The protocol then goes from trying to get well to dying pain free and with dignity.

I've never met a patient or family member who wasn't happy with the decision to admit the truth and let hospice minister to them.

Last week I read in the paper that Barbara, a member of my book club  had moved to hospice.  I don't really know Barbara but she's impressed me, in book club, as a very wise woman.

She was diagnosed in June with advanced bone cancer.  As a retired nurse, she'd volunteered in several hospices in Florida so she's aware of what they are and what they are not.

The paper quoted Barbara quoted as saying "To me it's very important that I'm not lying there moaning, screaming and groaning in pain...They (hospice) give you enough medicine to be free of pain...It's a very dignified and very family-oriented place to go to."

So, instead of suffering through aggressive chemo, Barbara is comfortable and making a video of her life for her family.

Barbara is my hero.  Along with hospice.


***