Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Egg Plant

Egg plants are beautiful.  I love them.  Most people don't.  The reason I know this is because almost all egg plant recipes are complicated.  They usually start with peeling the egg plant, baking it, then mashing it and adding about 17 other ingredients.

The lovely, purple egg plant which is a relative of the tomato and the potato has a rich complex flavor of it's own.  It doesn't need all that other stuff.

It's low in calories and full of vitamins and minerals.  The only slightly negative (and strange) thing about it is that it contains a little nicotine.  But you'd have to eat about 20 pounds of egg plant to equal smoking one cigarette.  So there's no chance of your teenager developing an egg plant habit. 

On Saturday I bought a big egg plant at the farmer's market.  Since Dave doesn't care for egg plant it's taken me a few days to eat it.

Here's how I like it best.  I cut it up, peel and all, and fry/steam it in a skillet with some Pam and a little water.  Then add salt and pepper.

For lunch today I had mashed potatoes and egg plant.
  
Delish. 


***