Friday, August 12, 2011

I'm Thin Skinned

Since we've been doing so much work around the condo I'm seeing nothing but bruising up and down my arms.  It's a fact of life at my age.  I'm thin skinned.  No arm fat.  As we age the lining of blood vessels and capillaries become weaker (along with most everything else.)

Also blood thinners such as aspirin and even vitamin supplements like fish oil can be culprits in the ugly arm battle.

I know that many of you deal with the same issue.  

I've looked for some light arm covers but no luck.  The best I can find are tennis arm bands.  They're hot and don't cover much - and silly looking when you're indoors.

About three weeks ago I had a tiny, almost pin prick puncture in my forearm.  It wouldn't stop bleeding so I put a band aid over it.  Later, while eating in a restaurant, I noticed I had bled all over my shirt sleeves.

Gross.

So when I'm getting ready to have any kind of medical procedure that might produce bleeding I need to stop taking blood thinning drugs well beforehand.

And so should you.


***