Thursday, April 28, 2011

Good Advice

I like good, straight forward advice.  But the best is when it makes me think so I can make my own decision. 

A few years ago I talked with my minister about my big romance with Dave.  I told my minister that I didn't think I wanted to get married because Dave was older than me and might get sick.  Then what? 

He didn't yell at me or laugh at me.  He simply said, "What are you planning to do if he gets sick now, Cess, leave him? "

That was all it took.  I went right home and asked Dave to marry me.  And now I can't imagine being away from him for very long - ever.

Carolyn Hax is a newspaper columnist I really like.  She's a "Dear Abby" type columnist but with much more depth.

In this morning's column her question came from a  20 something woman who is sleeping with her guy friend (friends with be benefits.)  Her girlfriends are telling her that this situation will end in sorrow.  She asks Carolyn, "Do you think my situation will end in sorrow, or is it possible to have benefits without feelings?"

The beginning of Carolyn's answer is great.

"It could end in sorrow -  in marriage -  in an infection - in parenthood -  in court - or in July."

She's right.  We don't know how things will end.  (Just for the record, I prefer benefits with feelings.)

***