Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day


It's always convenient to have a significant other on V-Day. But if you don't, just carry on with somebody you love - friend, child, grandchild, pet, etc. There's always somebody around to get mushy with if you just pay attention.


40 some years ago when I was engaged and newly married my husband and I had romantic times on V-Day. Later we concentrated on the kids.


But Valentine's Day has taken on new significance since I fell in love three years ago. I feel all romantic. My boyfriend is taking me to "our" valentine restaurant. Our 3rd annual dinner. On my favorite avenue in all the world. We'll sit outside on the sidewalk and watch the world go by.


By the way, we're going tonight because Valentine's Day (tomorrow) is "Rookie's Night Out" in nice restaurants. It'll be crowded with people who never eat out otherwise.


By the way, my Oldies eat at this special restaurant about four times a week.


But you don't have to spend a lot of money to celebrate V-Day. Make a card for somebody you care about. Today I caught my boyfriend looking at expensive, mushy cards at Walgreen's. I said,


"Why would you look for a card the day before V-day? It's too late to send it."


He said, "I'm looking for one for you."


I said, "Great. Find a big expensive one and show it to me right here. Then we'll put it back and spend the money tonight."


So, if you're on the Avenue tonight and you see us sitting outside on the street having dinner, stop by and say hi.


If you want to have V-Day dinner on the avenue, there are lots of choices. Whether you choose someplace really pricey or the coffee shop, you're still on the same sidewalk on my favorite avenue in all the world.


***