Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Florida Governors

The cards aren't in yet on our current governor, Charlie Crist. Like almost every other state, Florida is in crisis. This usually brings out the best or the worst in our leaders.


Let's hope for the best.


I've pretty much kept up on all of our governors since the 60s.


I don't remember Ferris Bryant as governor but, later, he attended our church from time to time. He seemed like a fine southern gentleman.


Claude Kirk was a piece of work.


Likewise, Bob Martinez.


Bob Graham, who went on to be our senator, was an excellent governor. I still have several gold "Graham Cracker" lapel pins.


One of my favorites was Lawton Childs. An extremely hard working, down home kind of guy, Lawton Childs was noted for walking all over the state when he was campaigning - and other times as well.


Everybody knew him as "Walkin' Lawton."


Jeb Bush was a good governor and, in my opinion, positively the smartest Bush, including dad. While I didn't agree with many of his decisions, I thought it was sad that he missed out on being considered a presidential candidate because of you know who.


Above is a picture of a very young and idealistic Lawton Childs, along with a couple of other young and idealistic Floridians.




***