Monday, February 9, 2009

Memories










Recently I received my fall copy of the Emory University/Candler School of Theology magazine.

We attended this school in the late 60s. Well, my husband attended. I took some classes, wrote poetry for the magazine and worked in the development office our last year there.

When I opened the magazine I was happy to see, on the first page, the color picture above of Bishop Mack Stokes, along with Candler Dean, Jan Love. He and his late wife, Rose have given a gift to Candler that will enable the school to establish the Bishop Mack B and Rose Y. Stokes Chair in Theology.

When we were in seminary all those long years ago Mack Stokes was a well loved professor at Emory (Candler.) For our first two years there we served a "Three Point Charge" - that's three small country churches (at the same time) way up in northeast Georgia.

We invited several of these wonderful, prestigious professors to visit us and speak on Sunday mornings to these farmers who, by the way, had no idea who they were nor did they care.

To our constant amazement, the professors came - and many times brought their families. After the services we had "dinner on the grounds." These farm people could put on quite a spread.

The black and white picture is of Professor Mack Stokes and his lovely wife Rose at one of these noon time dinners. I'm on the left. My son is on my lap. He was not feeling well that day - but he liked the dinner.

***