Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Homeless Fashion Update

Yesterday we, again, served lunch to the homeless. It's one of the most meaningful things I do these days.

I was again assigned to the drink table. The drink was water. The rules were that a person could have all of the water they wanted - but only one cup. My take on that is that I'm not the drink police. I'm the drink server.

Some people took two cups.

In filling water cup, plus people's dirty plastic water bottles, I tried to touch each person's hand. (If any of my kids are reading this, yes, I was wearing plastic gloves.)

The meal consisted of fruit salad, those big plastic wrapped sandwiches from the convenience store, rolls and soup. If it's your only meal for the day it's a substantial one.

A reminder that the doors open at noon and close at 1:00 P.M. and the saddest thing in the world is seeing the line of people who don't make it in.

So the food gets served VERY FAST!

My boyfriend, who was serving the fruit salad, said that the most interesting person he saw was a guy who was obviously homeless (because of his back pack with all of his possessions inside) who was listening to his I-pod the whole time.

The most interesting person I saw was a very old, very small man, wearing a dirty shirt, pants and socks but very nice new women's shoes.

My guess is that where he shopped, those were the ones that fit him.

If you haven't had the blessing of doing something like this lately I hope you'll seek it out.


***