Friday, February 6, 2009

Tests and Game Shows

Most people know that one of the themes in "Slumdog Millionaire" is winning the big prize in "Who Wants to be a Millionaire."

The main character, a slum kid, is suspected of cheating because he's - well - a slum kid.

When I used to watch "...Millionaire" I was amazed at times because I knew most of the answers. But then, other times, not much.

I know way too much about pop culture. But I know nothing about sports or music after the 50s.

I know tons about women's literature and American history. I know little about math and science.

I'm up on politics. I know the Bible. I don't know much about Scientology.

There's long been a controversy about SATs and other standardized tests. Some kids are smart and know plenty about their own culture and their own world but don't have the same kind of knowledge as mainstream kids.

If I'm ever on the Millionaire I hope I get questions on poetry, literature, The Brady Bunch and John Wesley.


***