Monday, October 3, 2016

Arnold Palmer's Values

I wrote about Mr. Palmer's legacy but I also love his values.  Yesterday's sports page was, essentially, a tribute to Arnold Palmer's values.  After reading it I went to church to hear a sermon about values.  So here are a few facts to help us understand how he lived them in his regular day to day life.

  • He attended Latrobe High School with Fred Rogers from "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood."  I can't help but think these two helped each other form their quiet, but strong value systems. 

  • He became a pilot to help overcome his fear of flying. I just, in the last 24 hours, had to deal with some fearful news.  I got through it by trying to be my best self rather than my fraidy cat self. 
  • He taught hundreds of pro golfers how to comport themselves properly. Yes, we all can think of a few people we wish he could give a lesson on how to comport themselves, especially in the next few weeks. 
  • Wait staff at the Latrobe Country Club always had a half-tea/half-lemonade drink waiting for him because he felt it would be ostentatious for him to order an "Arnold Palmer."
  • He made eye contact with fans
  • He broke down in tears at the end of his last U.S. Open in 1994.
  • He led the campaign to prevent golf courses from being built in Florida's state parks. 
  • His grandkids called him "Dumpy."
  • He cried during the national anthem.
I read only one thing that made me kinda of question Mr. Palmer's values. 
  • He hung out with Frank Sinatra.

***