Saturday, October 15, 2016

Community Fest

Last night Dave and I had our annual ride on the Ferris
Wheel at the Saint Mary Magdalene Catholic Church CommunityFest.  As I've told you before, I used to drive by this neighborhood festival with its carnival atmosphere and wish I could be a part of it, knowing there was no way.

But then I met Dave and he's taken me on Ferris Wheels around the world.  And when I told him about my last ten years of care giving and missing out on this neighborhood fun he said, "Why don't we go every year till we can't go anymore."

And we have.

We wait until dark so we can enjoy the midway lights and then walk the ten blocks or so to the event. Thousands of folks attend over the annual three day period.  Besides riding the Ferris Wheel we watch the band play for a bit, watch the adults and kids on scary rides, visit with neighbors who are there, and eat something crazy.

Last night we watched them make funnel cakes and fried candy bars.  They dipped the Snickers Bars in the funnel cake batter and dropped them into the same boiling grease as the cakes, pulled them out when thy were crispy and doused them with powderer sugar.

We didn't eat anything that crazy.


***