Sunday, October 30, 2016

In the Beginning Was the Relationship

All theological language is an approximation, offered tentatively in holy awe. - Richard Rohr

I've just started reading Richard Rohr's book The Divine Dance. He's a favorite of many of my smart friends but I've never read his works.  All I knew was that he's a Franciscan priest and writes really deep stuff.

So I wasn't sure.  Especially since this book's sub title is "The Trinity and Your Transformation."  Oh, oh!  But then I read the quote above and felt better.

I'm loving the book!  It starts out talking about those three angels who visited Abraham and Sarah and how they represent the Trinity - a concept that never entered my mind.  Rohr tells us about a fifteenth century piece of art by Andrei  Rublev  called "The Trinity," which features these angels.  The icon also features three predominate colors:

  • Gold represents perfection, God, the ultimate source. 
  • Blue - the color of the human, Jesus, and
  • Green -  represents the photosynthesis, precisely the work of the Holy Spirit.  


So here are the three angels eating and drinking and enjoying themselves.

"In the beginning was the relationship."


***