Monday, August 4, 2014

WHAT?

I've spent my entire life compensating for hearing loss.

But the time has come for help because, unlike Maxine in this cartoon, I want to listen to you.

But, oh man, it's such a complicated journey, including a steep learning curve, to discover what's best.  And it's pricey.

One of the biggest reasons for hearing aids as we get older is that, when we can't hear, we tend to choose isolation.  This can lead to depression and cognitive issues.

Long story short.  I have my hearing aids!  Also, long story short, I love my hearing aids!

In truth I have only one but it looks like I have two.  Since I have no hearing - zero hearing - in my left ear, there's a little microphone in there picking up the sound coming into my right ear hearing aid - so I have stereo hearing for the first time since childhood.

Here are some tips:
  • Hearing aids are expensive so do your homework.  You can find some for a few hundred dollars but if they don't work well you won't use them so the money is wasted.  The good news is, according to my audiologist, more and more insurance companies are covering the cost.  So check out your insurance.
  • Once you get your hearing tested by an audiologist, be sure to get a copy of the test before leaving the office.  Then shop around for hearing aids.  
  • Check out different styles.  My aids are almost invisible.  Even if you see them, you might just think I'm an FBI agent - but I doubt it.
So now, when you see me in a restaurant, be careful.  Because I'm probably ease dropping on your conversation.


***