Saturday, August 16, 2014

JB's Fish Camp

JB's Fish Camp at New Smyrna Beach is a slice of old Florida.  It's grown from being a shack in the 70s where oysters, clams and crabs where served from coolers and occasionally stolen overnight by raccoons to a much larger shack that has air conditioning.

But you can still sit out on the dock and look for manatees and porpoises or rent a paddle boat and go on an adventure.   I've been going to JB's for decades but it's still fun and still has about the yummiest seafood I've ever tasted.  All served from plastic trays placed on top of butcher paper.

We've been there twice this week.  The first time I had their famous spiced shrimp - served either hot or cold - in the shell.  On my second visit I had fried oysters.  When I was there a couple of years ago I had raw oysters in the shell served with a pair of gloves and a sharp knife.

If you're in this part of Florida, go to JB's.  It's the real deal.










***