Thursday, August 28, 2014

Books That Make Me Crazy

A couple of days ago I took the test of Facebook that shows what you know about books.  I scored higher that 84 per cent of the people who've taken the test which makes me a "Booketarian."  Not surprising because  I've been a life long reader.  Still am.  But I've heard from a few family members and friends who are also "Booketarians" and that doesn't surprise me either.

Some books - lots of them even - I don't particularly like.  Many of them are excellent,  I just don't care for the style or content.  That's OK.

But, occasionally, I read a book that I dislike so much that it seriously makes me crazy.   And sometimes I can't even articulate why.  I just want to start screaming.

Following is a list of four.  All from different decades, all extremely popular, all made into popular movies.

All made me crazy!

1.  Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

This book was about a seagull (that's right, a seagull) learning about life and flight.  Here's a quote:  He was not bone and feather but a perfect idea of freedom and flight limited by nothing at all. 

I can just picture a guy quoting this as he jumps off a bridge.

2.  Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller

Right off the bat I felt tricked because the book insinuates it's a true story.  It's not.

It's about a bored middle aged farm wife and a photographer from the National Geographic (total strangers, by the way) having a four day affair.  Then they part and never see each other again.  This couple was played in the movie by Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep.

I kept thinking that they would have to come up for air sometime to, you know, do some laundry or wash some dishes.  But no.  I guess I was overthinking  because here's one of the quotes:   Analysis destroys wholes...  If you look at their pieces they go away. 

The only good thing for me was that I got a lot of enjoyment out of making fun of the word "Sinewy" for a year or so.

3.  50 Shades of Grey (Trilogy) by E. L. James

In truth, I read only the first half of the first book.  That made me sufficiently crazy.  You would think it was the sex that did it.  But no.  It's the objectifying and torturing the woman.  And the message that "This is what we want  This is what we need."

The quote:  I'd like to bite that lip.

4.  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Not one good person in the entire cast of characters.  The quote:  There's something distrubing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold.

The movie, coming out soon,  stars Ben Affleck.


***