Tuesday, August 19, 2014

God and I Are Not Procrastinators

I've always liked to do things in an orderly way.  Now that my time is essentially my own I do just that.  I'm a planner.  I like to do it the easy way, if possible.

I did scores of planning seminars when I was a consultant and, while I know some folks do their best work just before a deadline, they still need a little control over their day to day lives in order to function over the long haul.

However, I'm not spontaneous and I don't like surprises.  

Surprise!  We're taking you on a weekend cruise.  Right now.  No time to shave your legs or find your favorite swimsuit.  Don't worry about the cost.  You'll get the bill next month!

No more of that in my life!  But you already knew this about me.  But what do you think about the way God works?

The New Yorker recently ran this cartoon by  Roz Chast, one of my very favorite cartoonists.  I'm sure she doesn't really think God operates this way.  She wants to make us laugh and make us think. 


Sometimes, with all the crazy stuff happening around the world and around us personally, we might think God's kind of chaotic.  But, no. The creation story is about order.   God wasn't stressed on the seventh day.   He thought what he'd done was good.


***