Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Home Remedies and Clean Eating.

Easy and Clean
Dave and I are always looking for new ways to stay healthy.  We're eating at home more and eating plain food with fewer chemicals.  I think the new phrase for this is Clean Eating.

For our big meal today we had roasted chicken, baked sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli, sliced tomatoes and sweet onion slices.  It was easy and delicious and no chemicals or extra fat were used in the production of this lunch.

I also love home remedies.  I faithfully read "The People's Pharmacy" by Joe Graedon and Teresa Graedon.   Here are some recommendations;

Almonds for heartburn:  They recommend eating 5 salted almonds to immediately get ride of heartburn.  This works for me.
Pickle juice for heartburn:  Swallow a tablespoon of pickle juice.  This has not worked as well for me.
Soap for leg cramps:  I keep a bar of soap between the sheets and it works for me. (Dave has a sense of humor about this.)
Vicks VapoRub rubbed on the soles of your feet for nighttime cough.  I haven't tried this but lots of folks swear by it.
Vicks VapoRub for nail fungus.  I've tried this with mixed results.
Cilantro for psoriasis:  Infuse the cilantro in extra-virgin olive oil and rub it on the psoriasis.
Hummus for constipation.  Have a hummus snack in the evening.  I have not tried this one.

The best thing about these home remedies is that, while they may not help you, they won't hurt you.

I've recently had a sad health/aging issue.  I noticed that, almost overnight, my face has way more wrinkles.  Very troubling.  What is happening?

As it turns out it's because I had such successful cataract surgery.  The only thing that has changed is that I can now see the wrinkles.   So I'll just keep on slathering the cream and hope for the best.


***