Saturday, March 15, 2014

Head Games

Chris
This morning, after our three mile walk, we went to an event called "Brainfest" where we heard author, lecturer, former football player and professional wrestling star  Chris Nowinski speak on our "Concussion Crisis."



Chris at Harvard
Here's a little background on Chris if you don't know him.  He played football (an All-Ivy defensive tackle) for Harvard.  Later he became a wrestler for the WWE Monday night RAW.  Along the way he suffered concussions.

Now he's an activist, spending his life letting us know how concussions and head trauma are misunderstood.

For me, the bottom line is that if you get hit in the head multiple times you will develop brain injury and dementia.  Period.

Chris the Wrestler
I'm not worried about myself.  I hardly ever get hit in the head (like never.)  But as we get older we do have to be careful about falling.

On the other hand, little kids enjoy hitting each other on the head - and we sometimes encourage it.

My personal concern is for my grandchildren and all other young people who play contact sports.  The statistics coming to light about what happens years later is, to me, terrifying.

Chris's book is called:  Head Games:  Football's Concussion Crisis.

If you have children who play any kind of contact sport, football, soccer, hockey, lacrosse - please buy and read the book.


***