Thursday, August 8, 2013

Louis Poulsen Floor Lamp

I work hard at being a positive person - but sometimes I'm not.  For instance, Dave has this Poulsen floor lamp he loves.  To me it's not particularly attractive.  Sort of industrial looking.  But, of course, since I'm a nice person I don't complain.
Dave's lamp after the fix today
A while back the lamp quit working.  Dave had a lot of trouble finding new bulbs and when he did find them they cost $75.00.  When I asked why, he said, "The lamp is Swedish."  

He put the the bulbs in the lamp and it still didn't work.  So I, nicely, suggested that maybe he'd like me to put the lamp on Craig's List and we could buy a new one.  He didn't want to do that.  He loves his lamp.  

So I put a call into our electrician, Wiley.  In the meantime, Dave and our neighbor, Al, thought they could fix it.  Dave bought two new ballasts, and this morning Dave and Al worked on the lamp.  

By the way, when Wiley the electrician called me back I told him to wait a few days because Dave's an architect and Al's an engineer "so you know they can't fix that lamp!"

Poulsen Floor Lamp $3,920.
But they did.  And here it is in the photo above.  And it didn't need new bulbs so Dave is off now returning them.  

In the meantime I looked up "Poulsen Floor Lamps."  This is the closet I could find to Dave's older lamp.  It's not quite the same - but they're close.  Dave's is metal of some kind and this one is metal and glass, plus the design is inverted.  

This one sells for $3,920.  Dave has never mentioned what he paid for his.  

But, yes, thenceforth, I plan to treat the lamp with more respect.  


***