Wednesday, August 28, 2013

50 Years Later

We were talking recently about accepting new ideas.  Ir always takes longer than we think it should.

I just heard the I Have a Dream speech - twice.  It's been 50 years since MLK,jr. delivered it on August 28, 1963.  Despite what some say, much has changed for the good in our country since that time.  Dr. King's speech planted seeds in my heart to want to live a life that made a positive difference in the world.

With all of the speeches and stories we've seen and heard this week, I think what's struck me the most is watching the movie Pinky on TCM the other night. This film, made in 1949 and staring Jeanne Crain as a light skinned young black woman passing as white in the north, and then returning home to the south and receiving a rude awakening, was a vivid reminder of how far we've come as a people over the decades.

 I posted this photo of a 1978 march on Washington in this blog a few years ago. (Painful Memories, 1/25/10.)  Afterwards I heard from some old friends, reminiscing about those difficult but exciting times.  One of them reminded me that I was wearing her red coat.  That's my husband Ken in the cool shades.

I'm proud to have been a small part of helping to bring folks together.  I hope I can continue to be "part of the solution" in helping people all over the world learn to live together in peace.  


***