Sunday, August 11, 2013

August Entertainment

Dave and I haven't kept to our weekly movie going schedule in quite a while.  Absolutely nothing playing that we care to see.  I'm not suggesting that the summer movies are bad.  But if you don't care for animation, science fiction or wacky comedy - you're out of luck.

In the meantime, I've tried to watch more Netflix.  Do you have Netflix?  After you buy a box (about $50 but I found a Best Buy coupon and bought ours for much less) Netflix cost $7.99 per month.  We don't watch it much but it's changed the way we view TV.  

 I tried the original and very successful Netflix show "House of Cards" but it doesn't do much for me.  I do, however, like "Orange is the New Black."  It's about a young, sweet, rather naive, entitled Smith grad who is sentenced to a year in a minimum security women's prison.  Yes, it is blatantly sexual and raw so please don't watch it if that sort of thing bothers you.  But I've come to like it because we eventually discover why each one of these women is there.  The series humanizes them.  Yes, they're guilty of their crimes.  Yes, there are bad people, both inmates and guards. But everybody's complicated.  Both in a women's prison and in real life.

In the meantime, I'm patiently waiting for Woody Allen's, "Blue Jasmine"and "Lee Daniel's The Butler" to arrive at the movie theater.


***