Saturday, December 15, 2012

Nothing Bad Happens In Oak Harbour

Yesterday was a horrendous day for just about every person in this country and many people around the world.  Six teachers and 20 little children were murdered in Connecticut.  What can we make of it?  At this point I don't know.   It makes no sense.

But feelings are high.  It's a natural instinct to want to protect our own.  I heard a world renowned psychiatrist on TV last night say that the first thing he did when he heard the news was to call his kids.  I'm sure a lot of folks did that.

Most of us want to feel safe.  In my early life I lived in places that weren't safe.  I know that awful fear - for myself and my family.

Now I live in a gated condo community.  But when I started to close the drapes last evening I looked out and, directly in front of our door, were two squad cars.  In front of them was another car with the police officers and two young men standing outside the car.  Another police officer was searching the car.  When he finished the officer handcuffed one of the young men.

At that point I closed the drapes.  How was I feeling?  I felt pain and sorrow for the young man.  Did the officers find drugs or alcohol?  Stolen property?  Guns?  Was it something worse?  What I really wanted to do was to go down and talk with the officers and perhaps intercede in some way to assist the young man.

Because whatever the problem is, it didn't start and it won't end with this one event.

I live in a safe place.  A kindergarten through 4th grade school in Connecticut  is a safe place.  I guess we need to look deeper for the answers.


***