Friday, December 7, 2012

Dave Brubeck

My granddaughter is attending the Paul Mitchell School.  A couple of weeks ago I enjoyed having her color and cut my hair.  But the music playing at blood vessel bursting high decimals was hard to take.

Every generation has it's favorite music.  I loved all kinds of music when I was young, including jazz.  My husband, Ken, and I, when we were dating and then newly married, loved to go to jazz clubs.  We liked smooth, mellow jazz.  It wasn't about drinking - or smoking.  I didn't do either.  But sitting with other folks listening to smooth jazz took me to another place.

I'm deeply grateful that I got to see the great Dave Brubeck.  He was one of a kind.  He died a few days ago.  I understand that many people have never heard of him but he put out one of the best selling jazz songs of all time,  "Take Five."

Brubeck was classically trained, and clean cut looking along with a clean cut lifestyle.  Very different from other jazz artists of the time.

My love of jazz faded over the years as other music took over.  But, nowadays, Dave and I play cribbage in the evenings listening to NPR jazz.  We both like it smooth and mellow.

Dave Brubeck was 91 when he died.  He left quite a legacy.


***