Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Movie Quotes...Again

As you know, I'm a movie buff.  I've shared many meaningful quotes with you over the years.  On this lazy Christmas afternoon, while others in this house are playing with toys, I want to share two of my favorites.

The first, because it's Christmas, is from "The Bishop's Wife."  The 1947 version where David Niven plays the bishop.  In the movie the bishop has been corrupted by wealth and wants to build a cathedral but an angel, played by Cary Grant sets him straight.  So this is a small part the message the bishop delivers on Christmas eve, given to him by God, via Cary Grant.

Tonight I want to tell you the story of an empty stocking.....You give me a book; I give you a tie....All the stockings are filled...except one.  The stocking for the child born in a manger.  It's his birthday...Loving kindness, warm hearts and the stretched out hand of tolerance.  All the shining gifts that make peace on earth.  

The next is a small part of my very favorite presidential speech in a movie - and maybe in real life too.  It's delivered by Michael Douglas playing President Andrew Shepard in the movie, "An American President."

For the last couple of months, Senator Rumson has suggested that being president of the country was, to a certain extent, about character....I have been here three years and three days, and I can tell you without hesitation:  Being president to this country is entirely about character. ..."You want free speech?  Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil....We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them....I promise you Bob Rumson is not the least bit interested in solving (them.)  He is interested in two things....making you afraid of it, and telling you who's to blame for it....We've got serious problems and we need serious people....


My name is Andrew Shepard and I AM the president. 

Both of these speeches were written by screen writers and delivered by actors - many years ago.  But they are extremely relevant today.


***