Monday, December 3, 2012

Four-Pronged Canes

Dave's grandson wrote him an hysterically funny note on his birthday advising Dave that he better not start using any of those "old people" things like telephones with big buttons and four-pronged canes.  He wants his grandpa to stay strong and healthy - and never get old.

We all want that.

But time is not on our side.  I announced to a group of people at dinner last week that, if I ever need a walker, I will gladly use it.  And that I want one that has a place for my books and a drink holder and a little container for flowers.  They all doubted me and asked that I sign an affidavit attesting to the above.

But I'm serious.  When I become incapacitated I will welcome all the help I can get.  My husband, Ken, went kicking and screaming into admitting his inability to walk.  He ruined many events for me, himself and others by refusing to use his walker or his wheelchair.  And I can't begin to count the spectacular falls.  Fortunately, he had bones like concrete.

Yesterday, when I was in the gym I talked with a man I see there often.  He's in his 50s and has, apparently, had a stroke.  Working out is a struggle but he does it - every day.  He has a great attitude, is an inspiration to me and others - and he uses a four-pronged cane.

So, I'm committed.  But, in the meantime, here's a photo of me taken in Visby, Sweden last June.  Don't mean to brag, but how about that posture?

P.S.  The word Gatukok is Swedish for hot dog stand.


***