Friday, July 1, 2011

Saying Goodbye

I like routine.  I'm sure some of that comes from living much of my life in chaos.  The other morning I got up, made myself a cup of tea, fetched the paper and headed into the living room to sit in my favorite chair.  Only it wasn't there.  We'd sold it the day before to an art dealer.  I had to improvise and sit on the couch. 

It will be leaving soon.

David's house of 47 years is sold and, if all goes well, the closing will be on July 28th.  A life time of memories is slipping away.  The house was purchased by a young couple, some art work and valuables have gone to David's children, and a few things will go to the condo in Florida.  The rest is up for grabs. Every day is emotional as David pours through letters and photos.  Every day is emotional as a piece of furniture or art work goes out the door.  Little by little he's letting it go.

This is a spiritual experience for both of us.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet but she's in the wings, gargling with lemon juice. 



***