Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Yankee Doodle Dandy


Yes, I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy, a Yankee Doodle do or die...

We watched this movie on TCM last night.  I've seen it many times, Dave had never seen it.  I love the 4th of July.  I love the Boston Pops.  I love my country.  I always feel kind of sappy about it on the 4th - and at other times as well. 

But I part ways with folks who want to be isolationists.  We live in a global village.  There a other beautiful countries and folks who love living there.  We're all in this thing together.  I have no interest in changing the name for French fries or putting a "Love It or Leave It" sticker on anybody who points out our imperfections.

I'm currently living in a state where the government has shut down.  We have some issues

One of my favorite hymns is "This Is My Song."  Here are a couple of stanzas.

This is my song, O God of all the nations,
a song of peace for lands afar and mine;

this is my home, the country where my heart is;

here are my hopes, my dreams, my holy shrine:

but other hearts in other lands are beating

with hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.


My country's skies are bluer than the ocean,

and sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine;

but other lands have sunlight too, and clover,

and skies are everywhere as blue as mine:

O hear my song, thou God of all the nations,

a song of peace for their land and for mine.

***