Friday, July 15, 2011

Shingles

A while back I saw a creepy cartoon.  A doctor is examining Pinocchio who's sitting on the exam table with roofing shingles growing out of his back.  The doctor says "Yeah, that's a bad case of shingles."

Shingles aren't funny.  You get horrible blisters on various parts of your body, and sometimes your face.  The pain is extreme and lasts for weeks - or months.  One in three people who've had chicken pox at any time of their lives will get shingles.  Over half of the people who get shingles are over 60 years old.

Since the vaccine came out a few years ago it's been expensive ($260) and hard to get.  My doctor doesn't have any.   Walgreen's in Florida has it but you have to find a Walgreen's with a clinic, make an appointment, etc, etc.

Medicare Part B doesn't cover the vaccine.  Medicare Part D (drug coverage) does.

A couple of weeks ago, on a Friday, I heard about an old friend who died from complications from shingles. What a horrible way to go.  I started thinking about how I must find a way to get the vaccine.

The very next day we were riding down a street in St. Paul, MN.  I saw a sign in front of a Walgreen's that read "Shingles Shots Today."  I yelled, "Stop the car." 

We were in and out in 10 minutes.  No clinic.  The pharmacy intern gave me the shot.  I paid $25.00.  I have no idea if my insurance covers the rest, but I'm sure I'll find out.  


***