Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I Heart Clergy Persons

Over all the years of my so called career I worked, off and on, with Methodist ministers. I love and respect the vast majority of them. And there would be no way to adequately express the loving feelings of awe and respect I have for the three ministers currently at my church.  Oh, and I almost forgot, I was married to a Methodist minister for 44 years. 

All this to say I have very positive feelings for my clergy friends and for the stressful career path they chose - or chose them.  In my opinion, a minister or priest who doesn't feel "called" isn't going to make it.

So I was pleasantly surprised to read about a recent study funded by the University of Chicago that says clergy tend to be, of all professionals,  the happiest and most fulfilled in their jobs.  87 percent described themselves as "very satisfied."  It makes sense because the work is all about helping people - in this life and the next. 

At the same time that this positive information came from the University of Chicago another study, coming out of Duke Divinity School, tells us that clergy persons tend to be the most unhealthy and overweight.

This makes sense to me as well.  Most clergy I know and admire work way too hard, are under way too much stress and tend to put other peoples needs above their own on a regular basis.  Not to mention the occasional church member who's one goal in life is to torture his or her minister.  I used to tease ministers I worked with saying that "if you don't have high blood pressure you're not doing your job."  Of course that's not true.  But working night and day and being "on" all the time seems to be the norm.

Not to mention the food that's forced on them by well meaning parishioners.    A Lutheran minister here in Minnesota was quoted as saying, "If I could send a message to my congregation (concerning gifts) it would be - Think Fruit Basket!"

My selfish prayer is that my ministers stay alive, healthy and happy (where they are) for many years to come - or at least longer than me.

***