Monday, June 13, 2011

Embracing Mystery

Mysticism - Belief in a reality surpassing normal human understanding or experience.  - The Free Dictionary


As some of you know, my faith can be defined as much by what I don't know as what I know.  Years ago, with the help of loving spiritual friends, I became comfortable with the concept of embracing mystery.  I'm very comfortable answering questions with "I don't know."  Because I don't.   To me, that's why it's called "faith" and "belief."

The last few days I've been reading about mystics.  Specifically Hildegard of Bingen and other women of her ilk who lived around the 11th century.  They spent their lives searching for spiritual truths. 

Unlike the guy who says, "I know what I know.  End of discussion!"

The word mystic comes from the Greek word mystes.  It's the same root that gives us mystery.

As Jan Richardson says, "It means shutting up long enough to notice God shuffling around in the daily events that make up our lives...But this path requires us not only to know god but also to be willing to live with our not-knowing of God."


***