Thursday, June 23, 2011

Tummy Talk

I brought two pairs of black pants to Minnesota.  One small, one bigger.  Last night I was getting ready to have dinner with friends.  I put on the small pants.  Yes, I could button them.  Barely. 

I'm ashamed to say that I've fretted about the size of my stomach since I can remember.  I weighed 104 lbs. when I married (the first time) and I remember feeling self conscious in my dress.  I distinctly remember "sucking it in." 

The only times I felt OK about the size of my stomach were during my four pregnancies.  The minute I "knew" I let it all hang out for the next seven and a half months. 

I've done thousands, maybe millions of sit ups.  For the last two months I've done crunches five days a week.  How has my stomach changed over the last five decades?  Not much - until the last couple of years,  when it began expanding a bit.

Is what I've just told you not the dumbest thing you ever heard?  Are you saying to yourself, "she's nuts?"

I know that you're not!  Because I know most of you feel the same.  But that doesn't mean it's not dumb.  Because it is.

By the way, last night I changed to the bigger pants - and enjoyed my dinner.


***