Monday, June 20, 2011

Micky D's




One time when Dave and I were just friends he called to tell me he'd just had dinner at Mac and Don's Supper Club.  I thought "Wow."  But, of course, he was referring to McDonald's. 

Everybody knows McDonald's is the Supreme Junk Food King of the Universe. 

We eat there a lot.

For breakfast I usually have oatmeal with fruit and maple brown sugar.  Yummy.  It has 290 calories and 160 mgs of sodium.  But this morning I had an Egg McMuffin without cheese.  It has 320 calories. 

Occasionally, if I'm still hungry, I have a Fruit n Yogurt Parfait.  It comes in at 130 calories, with 55 mgs of sodium.

My new favorite lunch is the Asian Salad with Grilled Chicken at 270 calories.  I add 1/2 pkg. of Newman's Own Low Fat Sesame Ginger Dressing, 45 calories.  But it is high in sodium.

The salad leaves a hot, spicy taste in my mouth so, occasionally, I top it off with a Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream Cone - but I ask them to give me only half the ice cream so it comes in at 75 calories.

I know all this because each tray at McDonald's is lined with a place mat giving nutrition information for everything they sell.  I enjoy their food and still stay well within my 1,300 per day calorie count. 

Yes, I could order the Big Breakfast with Hotcakes for 1,090 calories.  By the way, this is without butter and syrup.  And a Carmel Frappe for 550 calories.  But this would take me well over my calorie limit for the whole day. 

Yesterday morning we ate with old friends at the downtown Minneapolis Marriott.  I had a fancy dish with eggs atop all kinds of beautiful mystery food.  It was good but I'll bet if the calorie count was next to it on the menu I would never have ordered it.  And it costs $16.00. 

My McDonald's oatmeal is $1.99.  
***