Monday, June 6, 2011

Midnight in Paris

I love Woody Allen movies.  I love everything Woody Allen writes.  I think I've read everything he's ever written.  Yesterday we saw his latest movie.  About three minutes into it I said to Dave, "I love this movie."

Will you love it?  Here's a little test: 

Are you afraid of death?
Do you love Paris?
Do you love Cole Porter lyrics?
Do you love art and literature?
Do you love subtle, intellectual humor?
Are you a romantic?

If so you'll love this movie.  Owen Wilson plays a writer named Gil. (But we know, as always, he's a Woody Allen surrogate.)  He's frustrated and unhappy - then falls down the rabbit hole - actually, he's invited into a great car by Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald - and he's off to the 1920s,where he immediately begins to pal  around with expatriates like the Fitzgeralds, Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, and on and on. 

Here's an example of the humor:  Gil,  chatting with T.S. Eliot,  says something like, "Where I come from (California) they've measured out their lives with coke spoons."  If you don't get this, you may not be thrilled with the humor.  But still...

This movie is a total treat for the eyes and ears.


***