Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sentimental Journey

Gonna take a sentimental journey,
Gonna set my heart at ease,


Gonna take a sentimental journey,
To renew old memories.


Got my bags and got my reservations,
Spent each dime I could afford,


Like a child with wild anticipation,
Gonna hear that "All Aboard."

I love this 1945 song made famous by Doris Day and Les Brown's Band of Renown.


Dave and I are heading out early on Saturday morning. We're driving to Fort Lauderdale where we're boarding a ship bound for Portugal, Spain, Monaco and Italy.


We're excited. I've never been to any of these places. For the vast majority of my life, I was the one who stayed at home. I was the stable one, the one who cared for the children and took care of business. My big traveling adventures came from books.


I'm glad I did that.


But now I love going to new places and seeing new things. I've worked hard the last few weeks - and we have a couple of hard working days to go. Then we're off!


In our short time together Dave and I have traveled to many romantic places and have met many fasinating people. And we're grateful for each trip because we know we have a relatively short window.


As Bing Crosby used to sing,

Far away places with strange sounding names,

Are calling, calling me.








***