Sunday, March 14, 2010

And What Time Do You Have to be Home to Fix Supper?

I was involved in a conversation the other day about job interviews. There are a number of questions that a potential employer can't ask. Some people think it borders on the silly.

On the other hand the kinds of questions being asked years ago - especially of women - bordered on the bizarre.

In about 1985 I was invited by a public official who knew of my gifts and skills l to do a series of Wednesday night business seminars for a local Chamber of Commerce here in Florida. But first I had to be interviewed by the council.

After the meeting I went to the car and wrote down some of their questions. Here they are exactly as stated:

What does your husband do?

How many children do you have?

What are their ages?

How many live at home?

Do you "use" religion when you work?

Does your church have Wednesday night meetings?

I would like to tell you that I responded in a business like manner. I didn't. I was flabbergasted. I lost it.

Needless to say, the seminars didn't happen.


***