Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Being Honest With Myself

Integrity means connecting our lives with purpose... Our purpose, that which gives life meaning and direction, is going to change...Integrity requires new beginnings, not old ones, as we live lives that are moving forward.

The above quote is from my book If You Know Who You Are You'll Know What To Do by Ron Greer.

I used it when I was leading a class of older people on Sunday morning. It sounds great - and it is great - but a lot of older people are in total denial about how our lives and bodies are moving forward.

Take me for instance. Ten years ago, when I stopped running, my blood pressure shot up. How did I react? I got mad. "This cannot be happening to me. It's not fair. I'm thin, I exercise and I'm tough - and I'm not taking pills!" Two years later my doctor said to me in a very kind way, "You're old! Take the medicine."

Since then it's been a progression of new and more serious medicine. And how do I react with each new step? I get mad. That can't be good for my blood pressure.

And what's up with old men who insist on climbing up on their roofs? It's dangerous.

The point is that most of us, when we reach a certain age, need to be realistic. Most of my friends are full of wisdom about so many things but find it hard to admit that some parts of our bodies (and minds) have changed.

When I saw the cardiologist the other day and he asked how I'm doing I said, "I feel great but the medicine slows me down a bit". He said, "Well, in your case, that's probably a good thing."


***