Saturday, March 7, 2009

No Shows

My Oldies didn't show up for breakfast this morning. I wasn't too worried because they sometimes forget what time to come.

We've only been doing this for twenty years.

But when they didn't show up after an hour or so, I called. Mrs. Oldie answered the phone. She was distressed and confused. Mr. Oldie was sick. She couldn't really give me any details.

Here's the thing. Much of the time when I see them I think maybe I'll never see them again. I don't get maudlin about it but I'm aware. Despite my occasional frustration I feel pure joy at the sight of them and can't really imagine not having them in my life.

We hurried right over to their building and up the outside elevator to the top floor. When we got off, there was Mr. Oldie, sitting outside in the sun, wearing his red velvet robe and reading his Wall Street Journal.

As it turns out, he has a stomach bug. Not pleasant but not life threatening.

Oh, and in the condo were two home health care workers and and a supervisor. The supervisor was getting ready to take Mrs. Oldie to her (as you know) standing hair appointment.

Mr. Oldie wasn't even fussing about the health care workers. He said one of them fixed his (3)computers.

We should all be so lucky.


***