Monday, March 9, 2009

Calvin and Hobbes

My minister mentioned Calvin and Hobbes in his sermon yesterday. Why would he mention cartoon characters?

Oh, they are so much more.

Over the years they've given me some of my best insights into human behavior.

There is no way to properly describe them. You need to go to the bookstore and thumb through some of their books.

Calvin is a little six year old kid with a big mouth. He's rude, selfish and routinely gets himself into terrible messes. Like when he ties up the babysitter.

Hobbes is his stuffed tiger. He's smart, sardonic and is unfazed by Calvin's attics.

But we must remember that Hobbes and Calvin are two sides of the same personality!

Their creator, Bill Watterson, named Calvin after the 16th century French Reformation Theologian John Calvin. Hobbes is named after 17th century political philosopher Thomas Hobbes.

A card board box plays into their daily lives. It's many things but my favorite two are:

A Transmogrifier. Or, turned over, a Time Machine.

Following are some Calvin and Hobbes quotes:

When Hobbes isn't feeling well Calvin says: It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Calvin to his teacher: I understand my tests are popular reading in the teachers lounge.

Below are a few to help us understand our current worldwide situation.

Calvin: Do you believe in the Devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the painful corruption and destruction of man?
Hobbes: I'm not sure that man needs the help.

Life's disappointments are hard to take when you don't know any swear words.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky underpants don't help.


***