Tuesday, March 17, 2009

More on Movies

Several good movies came out in the fall. It's taken us a while but I think we've finally seen all of the ones we want to see. I haven't seen "Benjamin Button" but it's coming to the discount theater soon. The problem is, it exceeds my two-hour-rule so don't know if I can sit through it.

The other one that I was on the fence about was "The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas." I know it's an excellent story but it's very painful to watch holocaust sufferers, especially children. My boyfriend saw it and tells me I need to see it.

By the way, I never rent movies. I like the theater experience.

Last Tuesday we saw the last of our "must sees," "Frost/Nixon."

I was thinking about it today while reading about AIG's big bonus mess and the Madoff mess. We human beings want justice but in lieu of that we'll sometimes settle for an apology.

In 1977 we needed, at least, an apology from President Nixon. It didn't happen.

And then along comes this Party Boy British Talk Show Host named David Frost. Nixon agreed to interviews because he wanted the money - and his prestige back. He had no intention of apologizing or even admitting wrong doing.

But he did.

And it helped heal the country.

Frost/Nixon was not the most entertaining movie I've ever seen. It's a movie made from a play made from a TV interview. But for those of us who lived through the Watergate experience, it's well worth seeing how it culminated.

Don't you think it's interesting that, since that time, every Washington scandal has the word "Gate" attached to it?

***