Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Mood Swings

New Yorker cartoon by
cartoonist and illustrator Lianna
Finck
Every day, (OK sometimes hourly) I vacillate from putting my total trust in God and Dr. Fashi to full swing paranoia.  Somewhat like this guy in the cartoon.

On my morning walks I still listen to stand up comics on Pandora.   The Jerry Seinfield station is my favorite.  That's mainly because, while not exactly G-rated, they don't get off into truly uncomfortable territory.  I hear short clips of a small variety of standups.  Sometimes I hear the same ones over and over.  I don't mind this if they're performers and bits I like.  It's clear that each one has a particular persona.  Jim Gaffigan's is laziness.  He tells us the reason his wife had their five babies at home is because he didn't to put on pants to drive to the hospital.

 I've heard Brian Reagan do a bit about lazy people a few times now,  He uses the invention of peanut butter and jelly packed in the same jar as the height of  laziness.   The first time I heard it I thought it was clever and acuate but clearly didn't apply to anyone I know.  Now I find myself strategizing daily about how to get my meal made using the least possible utensils because every single thing I use has to be washed with soap and water.   I have become Brian Reagan's peanut butter and jelly example.

People ask me, sometimes daily, if I'm lonely or bored.  The answer is no.  I'm in contact with multible people every day.  But I'm not comfortable with Zoom or any platform that forces me to appear in public.  That means I have to comb my hair.

But, as usual, my CODness is paying off.  Since I am the antithesis of spontaneity,  I work from a daily list of to-dos and then feel compelled to do them. Oh, and there's the hand washing thing.

But most important on my list is to stay in daily touch with God and Dr. Fashi.


***