Monday, April 13, 2020

Best Easter Ever!

Family Easter Morning Drive By
How could it be the best Easter ever?  In most of the world every person in my age group is on house arrest.

I grew up pretty much unchurched and the only Easter I remember was when I was a little kid and somebody made me a wool suit for Easter.  Who or why?  I have no idea.  But I do remember my little brother and I being put on a train going from Indianapolis to Louisville on Easter Sunday and how miserably hot that suit was.

It was a whole other story when my kids were growing up.  Easter was the most meaningful Sunday of the year.  And, while there is a big difference between the Easter bunny and the risen Christ, at our house the Easter Bunny and assistant weren't available to hide eggs and baskets until late in the day.

But for the last couple of decades Easter has been pretty much grand.  Most of us who hang out at church often are excited about the big overflowing crowds.  It's part of a world wide coming together to celebrate new life.

But I am slowing down and there is always a huge Easter brunch at my church so by the time all of it is over it takes extra energy to get with family and other folks.  Both Easter and Christmas are "high feeling" days and can turn from wonder to despair on a dime.

Yesterday was a different kind of Easter.  Since time began people have longed for God in times of trouble.  You'd think that folks who are well off would be the most grateful.  But it doesn't often work that way.  When our backs are against the wall we need a reminder that God is with us and it will be well in the end.

As millions of others, I watched our fantastic church services on TV.  I took communion with a saltine and hot tea.  But there were a boat load of streaming worship services to choose from.  By the way, if you're wondering why a handful of church leaders across the country chose to conduct regular services despite the obvious risks to the health of participants and all the folks they're coming in contact with today - the answer, overwhelmingly, is greed.

I spent much of the day visiting virtually with family and friends from my favorite place on the couch.  It was sweet - and just what I needed.

Even though we're not at church physically our spiritual leaders are working like crazy to care for us.  And they are succeeding.  But giving in most places of worship is way down.  As long as I've been writing this blog (over a decade) I don't thing I've ever made an ask - until today.

I hope you'll give - no matter how small - to your church or synagogue, or wherever you find spiritual power.

And if you're not spiritually inclined, give to for your grandma.


***