Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Emotional Diversity

This morning I watched my church's daily devotional and heard one of my favorite smart people, Dr. Jon, speak on "Emotional Diversity."  He learned about it from Tonya, a mutual smart person friend.

Emotional diversity is about deeply experiencing all of our emotions in order to be a reasonably happy well-rounded person. As you know I'm not good at expressing sadness.  It's not that I don't feel the pressure of it,  I just can't easily let it out.  As you may remember I had to visit a counselor to help me deal appropriately with my grief when my husband, David, died.

Mr. Rogers was an expert on emotional diversity.  I finally got around to watching the Tom Hank's movie earlier in the week.  But I found it extremely slow moving and frustrating in that the main character (besides Mr. Rogers) was messed up and angry.  To me it was tedious.  I had to watch it over a three day period in order to get through it.  

But, to my great surprise, when Mr. Rogers arrived at Lloyd's front door with a pumpkin pie - I fell apart!  And I couldn't stop until Mr. Rogers said goodbye and whispered something in the Lloyd's dying father's ear.

Quite the cathartic release.


***