Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Girl Power

In the 60's I was a total feminist.  Over the decades I've  calmed down considerably.   I no longer have a "them or us" attitude.  We're all in this together.  We all need to be who we're called to be.

"Mrs. America" is a new series on FX.  In it  Cate Blanchett plays female-empowerment woman Phyllis Schlafly. Only Schlafly was on the opposite side of the feminist movement.  Her biggest achievement was squashing the Equal Rights Amendment.  The ERA was a short statement guarantee equal legal rights to all Americans, including women.

During this time in the 70s best selling conservative author Marabel Morgan wrote a wildly popular book called "The Total Woman," in which she encouraged the traditional-stay-at-home spouse.  During this time I was asked to be the speaker for a large group of conservative women in South Florida.  I was especially flattered because they were aware of my views.  They also invited me to bring copies of my most recent poetry book.

It was only when I arrived at the event, ready to go, did I discover that there would be two keynote speakers.  Me and another woman who was, not only traditional to the extreme, but a close relative of Marabel Morgan. And she bought along piles of  The Total Woman bestseller.

I was actually fine with all of this and thought the event planners did these women a service by presenting two views of what comprises a total woman.  Only I brought the book that contained a snarky poem with a point by point response to Morgan's book.  I just kept my head down and my sense of humor in tack and all went well.  Here is my poem, which, you'll be relieved to know, I did not read.

The Total Robot 

For two weeks
I agreed with everything you said.
And we both developed ulcers.

I told you the awful speech you made 
Was good.
And you said
"Why did you betray me?"

I stopped wearing pants
and started wearing frilly dresses
And ribbons in my hair.
And you took me to Carvel's for lunch.

I forced Cathy to give away her $25
Overalls, 
And you said, 
"Why does my daughter hate me?"

I met you at the door
Wearing nothing but my sexy apron,
And your brought home
Three Hatian refugees and a 
Catholic Priest. 

I baked you a big apple pie,
Every night for a week. 
And you said, 
"Why aren't you working on your article?"
(Just before you had the gall bladder attack.)

I said, "Yes,  let's;"
To everything you suggested
And our friends had to bail us out of jail.

I dressed all of the children in pink,
And lined them up to await your return,
But you never did.

     - by Cecily Crossman