Saturday, May 9, 2020

Grey's Anatomy


Callie
I have never liked soap operas.  So how come I'm watching Grey's Anatomy every single night?  It is totally a soap.  Originally I was tricked into it by asking around about a long running series that had some in depth characters and story lines.

Currently I'm on season 12, episode 23.  How many seasons are there?  I don't know but Netflix just added season 16.  I'm watching sequentially.  It's totally maddening.

It would be impossible to describe all the characters.  So I going to key in on Orthopedic Surgeon, Callie.   Is she a main character?  I'm not sure.  They come and go.  Often.

Here's a little background on Callie.  She married one of the main characters, George, but he cheated on her. and later was hit by a bus and died.  She then had a steamy relationship with Dr. McSteamy. They were just pals.

By the way, every one of these doctors is an excellent surgeon and succesful in his or her field. Oh, except for occasionally killing a patient.  Oopsie!

Callie gets pregnant and soon falls madly in love with Arizona, a female pediatric surgeon, who, conveniently, lives across the hall.  They (Callie and Arizona) get married.  But before the baby is born Callie and Arizona are in a bad accident.  But the premature baby lives. And the baby has three active parents.  That is until Dr. McSteamy gets killed.  But Callie and Arizona have an amazingly wonderful relationship so all's OK.

All of the above is just every day stuff to these doctors.  While they're competent (mostly) in their work, their personal lives are totally screwed up.  Besides other risky behavior, they all have had sex with each other, so much so that I can't remember who's been with who.  I know this is wrong on my part as well as depressing because it obviously means I'm losing my memory.

So, all this sex, drugs and rock 'n roll has led to sythllis, bad accidents (because they have this sex in every conceivable position in every conceivable place in the hospital and they don't even lock the door!) But my biggest concern is that they keep getting pregnant.  These are unwanted, inconvenient pregnancies.

What is wrong with these people?  Do they not know about birth control?

All of the above is just a tippy edge of the top of the soap opera we know as Grey's Anatomy.

So, currently, as of last night, Callie and Arizona are in court in a custody battle over who gets to be the sole parent of the now five year old Sophia.  Why?  because Callie is leaving town with her new lover, Penny, who, by the way, was one of the surgeons who cared for Dr. McDreamy after his accident and (spoiler alert) DEATH.  I had to write a stern text niece for not telling me that both McSteamy and McDreamy DIED.

But please don't contact me about how the trial comes out.  I am hooked on this soap opera and will probably have to go into rehab when the virus is done.


***