Friday, May 15, 2020

King Lear

I'm reading Will Willimon's new book on aging.  Willimon is a retired bishop in the United Methodist Church and is currently a professor at Duke Divinity School.  Over the years he's been one of my favorite writers.

This book deals with aging from a Christian perspective.  I like it because it suggests we oldies need to make responsible  decisions as we navagate the aging process.  As you know, I'm a big fan of aging well.  Willimon  uses scripture in helping us see how to do it right.

But one chapter deals with Shakespeare telling us how to do it wrong.  King Lear is his best example.

If you are like me, you find Shakespeare's plays to be more like work than fun, but deep truths abound.  Remember Lear's soliloquy beginning All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players?  It gives us a clue as to how he sees life moving along and he doesn't like it.  He doesn't do retirement well.  He uses his wealth and power to manipulate his children and others and, in the end, they see him as a mean old man and they're happy to get ride of him.

Willimon reminds us that Lear's mistake is that his retirement plan consists of shedding responsibility but continuing to control.

He also reminds us that we're all, if we live long enough, going lose our place on the throne as we lose our skills and strength.  We've all seen people who go kicking and screaming as they're forced to give up whatever control they thought they had, making life miserable for everybody, including themselves.

I get it!  I used to love being "on stage."  I was good at it.  I was entertaining. I was fun to look at.  I processed information quickly.  Honestly assessing ourselves as we age can be brutal.  But there is power, relief and joy in lovingly giving it over.  We've all seen folks who were magnificent in their prime but embarrassing in their inability to let go.

Willimon wraps up the chapter with this:

What if Lear had been part of a church that felt responsibility for helping him prepare for his retirement by candidly confronting him with the challenges of aging and then helping him practice some of the spiritual disciplines needed to negotiate this tricky time of life?

I am so very happy and grateful to be part of a church that has done a top notch job of this.

Many actors have played King Lear.  It's a juicy role.  I swore off Shakespeare a few years ago but I know that Anthony Hopkins did the film role in 2018.  So I'm thinking I might revisit the king.


***