Friday, December 9, 2016

Joy, Joy, Joy

The foundation of authentic Christian spirituality is not fear, but joy. - Richard Rohr

I have put a temporary moratorium on my own personal news feeds.  It's kind of working.  My daughter called yesterday to say how I must be sad that one of my icons, John Glenn died.  I had no idea.

Dave is confused.  I am a news junky.  I told him I just can't handle the "We're all gonna die" speak right now.  He reminded me that, that is one of my favorite lines.  But I had to remind him that I mean it in a realistic, something good to look forward to way.  Not the scorched earth way the news folks are giving it to us now.

I cheated a little this morning and read one of my favorite syndicated columnists and even he said, "But Lord, I am just tired."  Me too, Leonard.

So here's what!  Unless something truly earth shaking happens,  I plan to celebrate my holidays.  Lots of get togethers coming up.  Let's just enjoy. OK?

How can we possibly do that?  When I was a consultant I used to remind people that most small talk is negative.  But one person can turn it around.

And now, in reading my really convoluted, hard to digest book "The Divine Dance" that I'm (for some strange reason) enjoying - even though I'm reading only four pages a day - Richard Rohr says the following:

...neuroscience now tells us that fear, negativity, and hatred stick like Velcro to the nerves, while positivity, gratitude, and appreciation slide away like Teflon from those same nerves - until we savor them, or choose them for a minimum of a conscious fifteen seconds.  Only then do they imprint. 

So, until at least next month, I'm planning to savor the good stuff and eschew the fear, negativity and hatred.

I have been wanting the see the new movie "Manchester by the Sea."  Our theater section of the paper (yes, I'm still reading that) gave this film a four star review this morning.  But it also said it's a "Heartbreaking work of staggering sorrow."

I'll see it in January.


***