Thursday, December 1, 2016

Emily and Cecily










Emily Dickinson is seen as one of the greatest poets of all time.  She's certainly one of my favorites.  She's been a great inspiration, and, in some ways, I feel like she's my soul mate.  Here we are at about the same age.

Most of her poems were composed in her bedroom in her parent's home in Amherst, Massachusetts.  Emily was a recluse but she sent poems to friends and relatives, sometimes fashioning them into little books she made herself.

But only ten of her poems were published in her lifetime - all anonymously.  Just think about that in terms of the  Facebook/Kardashian world in which we live.

Emily Dickinson wrote about personal things, like death and faith and relationships.  Her poems contained excellent practical advice.  Many are short and pithy.

"Faith" is a fine invention
For Gentlemen who see!
But Microscopes are prudent
In an Emergency! 

- Emily Dickinson

I'm not the person I'm going to be
                     But I'm getting to be
                                  Getting free

-Cecily Crossman


***