Friday, December 9, 2016

Bean Soup

We had bean soup for lunch today
I used to cook - but now I don't.  Well, hardly do.  The other day, while having lunch with good friends, we talked about this concept.  I shared my current bean soup recipe and a couple of people said, "you need to share that."  So here it is.

First, decades ago, I made the best bean soup ever.  Even better than Senate Bean Soup.  (I wonder if the Republicans and the Democrats still sit around the Senate dining room and eat bean soup.  If not, they should.)

Anyway, the earlier bean soup started with dried beans, a ham hock, and a bunch of other ingredients and 24 hours later the soup was ready.  Here is the current version that tastes just as good.

Cecily's Bean Soup
 (Serves 3)

1.  Combine a spoonful of low-salt chicken bouillon with a cup of water in a sauce pan.  Let it come to a simmer.

2.  Add a can of great northern beans.  Mash them a bit with your potato masher.

3.  Add a can of Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup, plus two cans water.  Stir it all up.

4.  Add a hand full of diced ham.  (I buy the small packet of diced ham then divide it into five snack baggies and put it in the freezer.  It's great added into things like scrambled eggs - or this bean soup.)

5.  Add a tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce.

All of this takes less than five minutes.  Let the soup boil a few minutes then put a lid on it and turn the stove off.  It will thicken up.

I serve it with chopped sweet onions and sometimes (when I'm feeling fancy) chopped tomatoes.  Warning:  Yes, this soup is salty.

Enjoy.

P.S. I put the left over soup a cup in the fridge.  It makes a great snack when you're sitting on the couch later watching Netflix.


***